Friday, April 3, 2015

Unsung heroes

Hey all, I have been thinking about this subject for several weeks now, how I want to word my ideas, getting all my thoughts expressed, etc. This is an area that I don't see a lot of discussion on, but it is a very important one, because, if, as a cancer patient, you have a caregiver, you are a very blessed person.

My heart goes out to those who have no one to help them fight this battle with them. I can't imagine having to deal with all the problems, side effects, tests, appointments, emotional ups and downs, and all the other hurdles that present themselves during treatment, and having to do it alone.

I've seen those people. They struggle to get into the infusion center on time, then they have to get themselves back home after the therapy session. That isn't the time someone wants to be alone, especially if the medicine has been building up in your system, it's more difficult, because the symptoms show up sooner, and intensify sometimes, as you go along.

I should mention that I am off treatment now. I have been for about a month. I'm starting to feel really good again, getting some strength, we are hoping to have a good, long stretch of time before I have to go back on treatment again. But as I reflect over the last year, and really, over the last decade +, I don't know how I could have gone through it without my partner and best friend, my wife. Now I'm sort of taking my life in my hands here, because she is the type who doesn't want any recognition. :) But this blog has always been about trying to inform and discuss subject matter that you don't hear much about as you fight this disease. So it isn't about her alone, it is meant to cover caregivers as a whole.

You know, it's not a crime for a caregiver to need some care themselves. Sometimes we conjure up an image of a Florence Nightengale type of person, who never needs, or asks, for anything for themselves. And even though they may project this kind of image, we need to remember that everybody is just human. It isn't wrong, it's not weakness or a character flaw for you to need something for yourself as a caregiver. You need to give yourself permission to pamper yourself a little bit, at least once in awhile. It will be better for your situation as a whole. In our case, the facility we went to had a sort of day spa, and my wife and daughter-in-law enjoyed a pedicure while I was getting my testing done. The point is, find a stress reliever, because you will need it. Not to mention you deserve it. Go see a movie. Have a little bit of alone time if that's what you want. Maybe your circumstances won't let you leave your patient alone, or you just don't want to do that. Maybe you could find something to do together. Right now, my wife and I watch tv together. It doesn't sound like much, but she works all day too. I have been feeling better, so I have been finding ways to help her around the house, cleaning up the kitchen, fixing dinner, and more as I get more strength.

If you are a cancer patient, and you have a caregiver, you need to thank the powers that be. If possible, take them out for a nice meal, or create a moment at home for them. Don't take them for granted, imagine your life without them. What would you do? This person is a gift, I believe we should show some appreciation. And by the way, I wrote this as much for myself as I did anyone else. Ok, till next time then, get better!

1 comment:

  1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete